Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Currently: My Favorite Health and Beauty Products

Historically, I’ve had the “I’ll try anything” mindset when it comes to health and beauty products. If I had a coupon, I would snatch it up. Over the past year, however, I’ve become very loyal to the products that I find to work well. Below are my top five. Some of these are obviously pregnancy related, but others are products I have used or know I will continue to use for years to come…



1) Dr. Teal’s Epsom Salt Soaking Solution in Eucalyptus Spearmint – Honestly, it doesn’t take a lot of convincing to get me into a relaxing bath, but I started using this product years ago while training for half and full marathons – it did wonders for sore muscles. I picked it back up during the second trimester of my pregnancy to relieve an aching back that seemed to spike in the evenings. I really do believe that it not only relived my back pain but it also helped ward off leg cramps during the night. Eucalyptus Spearmint is my preferred scent, although they have a few others to choose from, such as Lavender and Chamomile. (Price: About $5/bag)

2) Nature’s Made Prenatal Multi + DHA Vitamins – Yeah, I tried the vegan, gluten-free, organic prenatal vitamins for a couple weeks, but then my morning sickness kicked in, and I could no longer ingest something that tasted like hot garbage. Thank you, Nature’s Made, for understanding that when you’re pregnant, you sometimes feel like vomiting for no good reason. I appreciate your prenatal vitamin that has virtually no taste or smell. (Price: About $20 for a 90-day supply)

3) First Aid Beauty (FAB) Ultra Repair Cream – You know the dad in “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” who sprays Windex on everything to fix it? This product is my Windex. Not only did I use it on my face – in replacement of a night cream – nearly every night this winter (and continue to do so), I also used it on my knuckles, elbows, and heels. Normally I look like a blotchy-faced teenager by Christmas with the ever-changing winter weather in Austin that creates dry patches on my skin, but this cream kept my face even and hydrated without becoming greasy. (Price: About $12 for a 5 ounce bottle)

4) Clarisonic Mia2 – Um hi, clear skin. Where have you been since I turned 12? Seriously, I don’t know what kind of voodoo witchcraft is going on at the Clarisonic headquarters, but my face has never been as clear as it is after a month and a half of using this device. After doing a lot of research, I decided that the “Mia2” was a better option for my skin, because it has a delicate setting for sensitive skin that the Mia doesn’t come with. To me, that was worth the extra $50. Or rather, it was worth asking for something that cost $50 more at Christmas. I received this gift from my brother-in-law who drew me in the Naumann Family Secret Santa… which really means I should thank my sister-in-law who knew what is was and where to buy it. Thanks, Heather! Where would my skin be without you? (Price: About $150… but you can sometimes get them on sale!)

5) Palmer’s Skin Therapy Oil – I read somewhere that stretch marks are hereditary and not something you can prevent, no matter how many beauty products you use. I have no idea if that’s true or not, but I’ll happily rub something all over my torso if it means I can smell like a chocolate bar all day, amiright? (Seriously, though, I’d love to hear from folks who have had stretch marks and how their body recovered.) (Price: About $10 for a bottle that lasts forever)

What are your favorite health and beauty products?

No comments:

Post a Comment