Sunday, January 11, 2015

My 2015 Reading List

For the last two years, I have made a goal through the goodreads.com Reading Challenge to read a certain amount of books each year. For 2015, I have again set a goal number, although at 15 books, it's significantly lower than in years past. (I figure I'll cut myself some slack, because I hear newborns take up a decent amount of your time.) 

I usually start the year already knowing some of the books I plan to read. Below are 10 of my 15 books for 2015, along with a quick synopsis of each one (in no particular order):

1) Wild by Cheryl Strayed
I mentioned this book in my last post as a book I had already started and want to finish by the end of the month... but because I started it on December 31, I figure I can count it within my 2015 list. A young woman hikes solo across the Pacific Crest Trail, and along the way, she recounts events in her life that led her to tackle the hike.

2) I'm Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham
Girls creator/producer/director/actress Lena Dunham provides a series of essays about growing up. I'm a Girls fan and love Lena's writing "voice."

3) The Understudy by David Nicholls
After I read One Day by David Nicholls, I knew I had to read more. Nicholls's second novel (and the one written before One Day), is about an understudy who is envious of the actor he is following and unfortunately then falls in love with his wife.

4) Us by David Nicholls 
Another promising novel from David Nicholls, Us was published only a few months ago. In attempt to save his 30-year marriage and bond with his son, a man takes his family on a trip to Europe.


I might have a slight obsession with British author David Nicholls.

5) Yes, Please by Amy Poehler
Amy Poehler is hilarious. That's all you need to know.

6) Louise Brooks: A Biography by Barry Paris
After reading The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty, I became fascinated with silent film star Louise Brooks. My brother recommended this biography to me, saying it was not only a great overview of Louise's life, but also a great history on that era of entertainment and film. This is the longest book on my list, clocking in at 609 pages.

7) My Life in France by Julia Child
(Hopefully the title excuses me from writing a sentence summary.) I don't know why I haven't read this book yet. I love Julia Child, I love appreciate cooking, and this just seems like one of those books you'll want to curl up with and read straight through.  

8) The Pink Suit by Nicole Mary Kelby
This story follows a seamstress named Kate who tailored many clothes worn by former First Lady Jackie O. Kennedy, including the iconic pink suit worn the day President Kennedy was assassinated. With so much focus on the suit, Kate's life becomes a bit more complicated after President Kennedy's death. 

9) A Paris Apartment by Michelle Gable
An American travels to Paris to uncover all the treasures and secrets within a historic apartment, including a famous painting stored there. She becomes extremely interested in the woman depicted in the painting, and subsequently reveals some truths about herself in the process.

10) The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman
This books follows the complicated lives of the staff members at an English newspaper in Rome. The journalism major in me is super excited to read this one.

Any books you're planning to read this year?

P.S. Are you a member on goodreads.com? If so, let's be friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment