Monday, January 9, 2017

Trash Report: Week 1

One of the new year’s resolutions I committed to earlier last week was to de-clutter by removing at least one un-needed item from the house each day. I don’t have a lot of “rules” around this resolution, except that I literally force myself to take the item(s) out of the house. I can’t put it in a pile with the intent to donate it all later. (I already have those piles in different closets all over the house. Feel free to come over and peruse them. Looking for the September 2009 issue of Vogue? Got it.) In an effort to share what I’ve thrown out (or sold through our neighborhood “Buy & Sell” Facebook group) – whether to inspire you or just give you a laugh – here’s this past week’s list of trash:

1) About 20 cinnamon-scented pine cones that I bought for $5 at Michael’s three years ago for a Christmas mantle decoration. When I opened them up in late November to place on the mantle, I couldn’t help but notice they did not, in fact, smell like cinnamon. More like dead bugs.

2) Twenty pounds (a conservative guess, in my estimation) of junk and expired food from our laundry room pantry where we keep kitchen appliances, bulk food, and some cleaning supplies. This garbage came from a major reorganization of the entire closet. The funniest thing to go was half of a 48-pack of low-sodium canned V8 juice that Andy bought me during a pregnancy-induced tomato juice kick in 2015. RIP, V8.

I didn’t take a photo of the “before” state of this closet, but to give you an idea, it closely resembled this:

Image result for landfill

3) A bunch of crummy wire hangers from past dry cleaning trips. We are moving on to the greener pastures of clothes hanging, which means it’s all plastic for us, baby! Living. Large.

4) Last year’s day planner. (This may seem like a gimme, but I strangely hang on to stuff like this for years after I need it.)

5) A book I read a couple years ago and hated (and therefore would never pick up and read again), and a cookbook that I never, ever use, mainly because it’s not titled, “How to Lose 15 Pounds by Only Eating Cheese”.  


Have you thrown out anything interesting in the spirit of the new year?     

No comments:

Post a Comment